Tastes of Kerala

Hi, I’m Nisha.Here,through my blogs I would like to share some unique, traditional vegetarian tastes and flavours of Kerala. Kerala has produced diverse, natural, nutritious as well as tasteful vegetarian dishes. The concept of homestead farming helped the Kerala women to make these unique dishes. Without using artificial flavours and colours they have produced hundreds of varieties of dishes. The famous “Sadya” in banana leaf has attracted many. To preserve and exchange these recipes is the main purpose of this blog. I’m sharing the recipes that I have encountered and those which attracted me . I am very happy to introduce you to some of the long lost traditional recipes . I hope you will enjoy them.

Monday 6 February 2012

Easy vattal

It is a crunchy snack that can be served with tea or with meals instead of chips. It is very easy to make.   

Ingredients

  •  3 cup cooked rice (choru)
  • salt ( to taste)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds
Method

Grind the rice and salt without adding water to a smooth paste.  Add the cumin seeds and sesame seeds and grind it for just a moment.  Mix the ingredients well.  Squeeze it through a 1 holed idiappam mould ( You can use a plastic cone with a  hole at the end for squeezing it) into a white cloth in straight lines. Dry it in the sunlight for 2 days. Remove it from the cloth. Keep it in an airtight container. Fry the vattal in coconut oil when needed.  





No comments:

Post a Comment